Sunday, August 17, 2014

Mason Jar salads: An easy and quick lunch or dinner!!...and all Fix approved!!


So I keep seeing posts and pins on how to make a mason jar salad and knew I needed to try this!!! I am busy all week with work and now that school is here, dinner is gonna be near to impossible to have an hour to cook since the minute I am off of work I will be running with the kids until bedtime!! So on Sundays I will do all my prep work then be ready for the week!! The only thing that i needed to cook was my chicken and corn, then i divided them into 5 containers for the week!! I found this recipe for marinades and spices for my chicken and it looks delicious!!
  • lemon juice or vinegar (apple cider adds a fun flavor) and yellow mustard... add some garlic or onion powder, salt/pepper to your taste -- all those are freebies -- mix 'em up and throw it in a gallon size plastic bag with the chicken.

    suggestions/tips - stab c
    hicken breast with a fork a few times to let the flavors soak in and don't let it marinade longer than hmm....12ish hours? If it sits in the acids too long, meat gets tough. Or put into the fridge and it could go maybe up to 24 hours before it gets tough.

    to cook: spray your oven safe dish with the cooking spray, empty the bag into the dish, cook at 350 until an oven thermometer registers an internal temp of 165.

This will be the perfect grab and go meal for lunch or dinner all week!! 

I got my mason jar salad containers at Target, bit Walmart and Michael's also has them.  This big pack was only $9.99!!
Now i can make 5 and be prepared for the week! 


Now how to stack the salad! It's best to pile on with the dressing on the bottom if you wish to add a Fix dressing..otherwise you can premake a dressing and then add that in at the end..using your orange Fix container :)

Here is one of my favorite Fix dressings!!


Here is how i prepared my mason jar salads with ingredients listed in the order they were added to the jar:
  • Dressing first (1 orange)
  • Corn (1 Yellow)
  • Garbanzo beans (1/2 yellow-only in 1/2 the jars)
  • Almonds (1/2 Blue)
  • Chicken, cooked and cut up (1 Red)
  • Feta Cheese (1/2 Blue)
  • Spinach/Greens (1 Green)
  • Salad dressing, in separate container if not added in on the bottom (1 Orange) 

Here is my finished product!! This looks amazing and I am super pumped about this for the week!!




Once again this shows that a little bit of planning gets you far!!!
I am just super excited that I will just be grabbing and going for the week! Double win:)

No comments:

Post a Comment