Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Getting ready for back to school!! The importance of good nutrition :)



School is almost here, WE GOT THIS MOMS :)
With school about to begin in just two weeks (insert BIG smile), I always get into the planning mode this time of the year!!! I like finding new and healthy ways to get my kids the veggies and fruits that they need without all the processed, added sugary crap that THEY want!!!
I came across some ideas on Pinterest today and wanted to share!!

This one I LOVE!!! My kids LOVE to pick and choose their own things, whether its clothes or foods! This chart is great because the child can pick and choose! FABtastic idea :)


Great lunch ideas!!!



Our bodies need healthy wholesome foods!!!


Now I know, I know, the first things you are saying is: My kids wont eat anything healthy like that!!

Well first, let's ask Why Not?

Is it because:

  1. You are NOT eating it? If so then bad-bad you, we all need our whole core foods to make this machine (our body) work right!! Seeing is believing and your kids will only mimic what they see YOU doing!!! So bust out the fruits and veggies and EAT THEM!!
  2. They don't taste good?? Well I beg to differ!!! Fruits are FULL of natural sugar and taste FANTASTIC!! But if you have your child choose fruit snacks over a whole, fresh fruit the child will naturally pick the fruit snacks because of something called: Marketing :) Think about it: How many commercials about apples and pears are out there!!!
  3. Now onto veggies...the common negative food for all!!! I like to start with the more sweeter veggies: carrots, sweet peas, sweet potatoes (hence see the sweet in all of them)..then we go to salads and so on...the vegetable should be the staple of each meal, NOT the heavy starchy carbs!!! With childhood obesity at an all-time high, our kids are suffering!! We nourished them for 9 months in the womb, but why are we feeding them crap outside the womb??
  4. Lastly, get the JUNK out of the house!!! The kids are the same as you!!! if you know cookies are a trigger food for you, it's no different than how your child feels!! So GET IT OUT!! out of site, out of mind!! And listen, they may pout and complain and complain and cry..WHO CARES!! Who is the parent on this one?? No one will go hungry, trust me!!! If they don't want to eat, then don't, suit yourself..trust me that will only last so long :)
Proper portion servings at meals :)

Here are some of my favorite staple good foods that I love to give my kiddos for lunches also:
  • Carrots
  • String cheese
  • Sliced pepper strips
  • Skinny popcorn
  • natural applesauce
  • oranges
  • apples
  • all berries
  • whole wheat crackers
The list could go on and on!! This is NOT to say that we only eat like this..that is NOT what I am saying at all...it's like everything else in life..a healthy balance of it all...
Feed your kids like you feed yourself, or wish you ate :), and everyone in the home will succeed :)


No comments:

Post a Comment